Tuesday, March 28, 2006

TWiT #47

So it looks like TWiT has a new logo on iTunes. Still not seeing a new web page design as Leo mentioned a couple of weeks ago. Slowly but surely it looks like Leo is cobbling together his own IPTV network, creating additional shows with him as the host/moderator and well-known folks that he has relationships with in the tech world as the star(s). Personally I think he and Kevin Rose should get together and pool their talents and contacts.

Revision 3 is building a geek video network, and so is Leo and his gang. At some point they'll realize they're competitors of a sort, or at least that they'd be stronger (and more valuable) together. Get together now gents.

John C. Dvorak needles Leo later in the show about getting VC funding if he wanted. I think Leo know exactly what he's doing... Waiting. Perhaps not so patiently, but I think he's waiting for the right time and the right opportunity.

The TWiT folks discussed the Windows Vista delay, and whether or not anyone cares. I know I don't care if Vista gets released in 2007 instead of 2006.

I am firmly convinced that Patrick Norton just makes shit up. No, really. I realize he must have a huge following since people still give him a spot in front of a camera or a microphone. Leo asked Patrick if Vista still had a registry, like XP does. Leo's really smart. Does he really not know that Patrick wouldn't have a clue if it did or didn't? It's not that Patrick is dumb. I actually like his personality and thinks he's quite an interesting guy. He's just not learned to say "I don't know/I don't care." yet.

IE has another critical flaw in it allowing spam loving hackers to take over your PC. Surprise.

Dell bought Alienware. Yawn. Suits don't get it. Now that Dell owns Alienware the game playing Geeks are not going to buy their PCs from them anymore.

John attacks Patrick. Go John! (I suspect he's been holding his tongue for a while. - and still is.) But he also thinks Patrick is photogenic. Hmmm..

Borrow wifi, get prosecuted. A cop that actually knew what was going on? Good for him. Bad for the guy getting his pron on the run.

Tiered broadband access pricing may be coming. No kidding. You mean someone will actually have to pay for the bandwidth being used? Of course this should happen. Clearly I should be paying more for access than my Mom. When will Comcast come and slap a meter on the side of my house?

ajaxWrite gets mentioned on the show. Very Cool web-based word processor. No worky with IE though. Firefoxians only.

If you've not seen it, protopage gets a mention as well. Very cool site that uses ajax to let you create your own page using drag and drop.

Leo uses Netvibes.

Dvorak is now doing Cranky Geeks, a new vidcast that allows him to rant.
I can't help but wonder how many episodes of TWiT people will listen to before they get tired of hearing about other podcasts and how to monetize the podcast and if they'll ever get any money....

The minute it became obvious to Leo and the gang that maybe they could make some money (and I mean serious money) doing the podcast, everything changed. The focus of the discussions changed. Their perspectives changed. I hope they get a VC sugar daddy soon and get back to talking about tech.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home